> The new RF Concepts tuner would not work well for me. It's an
> unbalanced C-L-C design with a CM choke input, similar in design
> with several Palstar tuners, only with much more rugged components
> than what Palstar provides. W9CF, W7EL, and W8JI have analyzed a
> current choke placed at the input to a C-L-C tuner and have concluded
> that placement at the input is not as effective for maintaining line
> balance as a balun placed at the tuner's output.

The common mode choke in the Alpha tuner will be completely ineffective
with any of the coaxial fed antenna outputs in any case!  Since it is
*inside* a metal box and the input as well as output connectors are all
connected to the case, any common mode current will simply bypass the
the choke on the case!

The *only way* to make a common mode choke effective with an unbalanced
tuner is to connect the case of the tuner to a low impedance "ground"
and place the choke in the feedline between the rig/amplifier and the
tuner - external to the tuner.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV