Somewhere along my readings I heard something about possibly adding 2m later
down the road in the KX3 and that it would be optional whether you want the
tuner OR the 2m module. I am taking that to mean that both modules will not
fit under the hood of the KX3.

There have been several K2 op's that have remote mounted the 100w module
outside of the case of the K2 to allow a 10w portable rig or a desk-top 100w
rig. Just because the module is intended to be an "internal" addition
doesn't mean there isn't a way to put it "outside the box".

That brings me to my question:
How hard would it be to remote mount the tuner? I would greatly benefit from
having 2m in the rig as I am a backpacker and that would let me have an
all-in-one rig. I also like to use jumper dipoles so for the most part I
have a resonant antenna with me and don't need the tuner function. However,
for other portable operations it would be nice to have the tuner such as
when I fly out for conferences or training - pack it all in a suit case and
off I go!

An even better addition to 2m - make the receive capabilities cover the
adjacent VHF spectrum, specifically up through 163mHz to cover the NOAA
weather stations. This is a huge help after 2 days in the back country.
Also, if the module can have repeater capabilities that would be great
(probably a stupid question/suggestion as all all-mode 2m rigs do).

Steve, KC8QVO