From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of k...@baymoon.com
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2011 6:26 PM
To: Frank MacDonell
Cc: Elecraft
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 on AM

Now that 10 m AM is "back," I have started firing up my Globe King 500 on
that band/mode. AM is truly not a QRP mode. But, if you want to try, go
for it. As has been pointed out, only half the power goes into the AM
sidebands. The carrier is discarded, so offers no communications ROI for
the power it consumes. It is not an efficient mode by any stretch.
However, a well modulated AM signal, under stable band conditions sounds
about 10,000 better than a sideband signal. It's a bit like driving a 1939
Ford coupe. It ain't efficient, but it's different than driving a Prius.
If I'm looking for efficiency, I drive the Prius and I operate CW. If I'm
looking for nostalgia, I drive the Ford coupe and operate 10 AM.

Rob K6RB