Jerry Sevick used a monster T400A-2 toroid, #2 powdered iron, 4 inches in
diameter, intended to be the 4:1 up transformation for the back of high
power tuners. (Sevick, Understanding Baluns.... 2003, CQ Communications, pp
60-61)  I have run these some times with brick-on-key 1500 watts and never
managed to get heat.  I've never personally managed to construct anything
that would stress one of these.

I'm currently using a 17 turn trifilar winding on a T400A-2 as a 4:1
isolation transformer (not a balun, no direct connection between primary
and secondary) feeding the 90 ohm base of my 160m 3/8 wave inverted L plus
folded counterpoise to 360 ohm "450" window line (Wireman #554).
 Particularly with the significant capacitive reactance of the
counterpoise, I was definitely expecting this would put some serious heat
on the core QRO, and maybe invalidate the concept, but I have gone 15 min
QRO BOK, immediately walked out to the base, and the core was stone cold.
 The whole thing seemed cold. There was a little bit of condensation
visible inside the teflon tubing beforehand, and the BOK did not cause it
to evaporate.  I really don't know why it didn't heat up, but I'll take it.
 Thing is a killer ant.

So I'm thinking if you put up Jerry's 20 turn bifilar on a T400A2 as a
Ruthroff balun and slap it on the back of a tuner, that you're going to be
very hard pressed to warm it up with ordinary stuff.

73, Guy.