When I could, I paid more attention to the click problem during this
contest (after the CQ WW CW experience). Many times, some guy/guyette would
snuggle up to me and start CQing, often .500 khz away, sometimes .400 and
even .300 (measured). Obviously, my transmissions weren't interfering with
them. Meanwhile, although their S-9 signals were outside my passband
(usually I use between .400 and .250 hz), their clicks were S-6 to S-7, a
major problem when I was called by weaker signals.

I tried PREAMP on/off and AGC fast/slow/off, without noticing much difference.
I am unable to determine if the problem is with my receiver or the other
transmitters.

To try to lessen the problem, I now see the solution as this:
I need to dirty-up my signal, to keep them farther away from me.
Why should they not suffer, as I am suffering?

As far as the so-called 'mush' is concerned, I don't think it is a problem
in my case. Yes, the great unwashed all wind up on the same frequency after
clicking on their bandmaps, but I can usually outsmart them one way or
another.

I think it's time for a Q signal to tell them that they are interfering
with one another, and need to spread out a bit. How about QSO (spread out)?
Hmmm... that one's already in use. OK, how about QRM ("you are being
interfered with")? I use that one, but to minimum avail. I'm open to good
suggestions. We can send the best choice to N0AX to put in his Contest
Update column, and maybe publicize it a bit.

I use another radio for the RAC 'test, to see if it fares any better.

In between contests, I'm on 10m AM with my Ranger and R-390A. No clicks there!

Ralph, VE7XF