Hi, Rich.
Based on your description of the situation, it does sound like the battery
is NG. Probably a shorted cell.

As for the current drain, my "fully loaded" QRP K2 with DSP draws 320-360
mA, according to the internal display. Honestly, I have not actually
measured it with an external ammeter. Depending on what you have for options
in the K2, it could conceivably draw this much.

I would contact the vendor about the battery. They -may- be willing to
replace it in good faith, without you returning the bad one. It's certainly
worth asking.

73,
Bruce, N1RX

> Recently purchased and installed a new 2.9 amp battery in my K2. It
arrived and I measured the voltage at 10.6 instead of being fully charged to
12V according to the book. As measured with the K2 internal voltmeter the
readings were  V 10.6 and current 0.32. That current reading is nowhere near
the 200 to 250 ma indicated in the book.

The K2 is working properly and output at 10.6V gives me about 10 watts;
however, I have not been able to increase the voltage while hooked to an
external 12V power supply set at 14.0 V for  12 hours. There is no change in
either the voltage or current readings and I believe I have a defunct
battery. I dread the thought of shipping it back to California (it cost me
$14.95 for the UPS shipping) so thought someone may have some ideas about my
problem.

Thanks and 73,   Rich  K8III