The entire support team is excellent as always.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
 從︰ "Sebastian, W4AS" <w...@bellsouth.net>
收件人︰ elecraft@mailman.qth.net
傳送日期︰ 2011年12月17日 (週六) 1:35 PM
主題︰ [Elecraft] K3 Support Story

I would like to briefly mention my recent experience with Elecraft's technical
support.

My K3/10 kit arrived a few days ago, and I built it without any issues.  But my
transverter was stuck in transmit when it was connected to the KEY OUT jack.  I
checked and double checked the connecting cable and menu settings, and couldn't
find a problem.  Since it was late in the evening and Elecraft wasn't open for
business, I emailed Ed (KL7UW) who is active on this list, to see if I had
missed something obvious.

We found the KEY OUT jack was always shorted, even with the radio off.  Ed
suggested I contact Elecraft the following morning.

I had the pleasure of speaking to Dale at Elecraft, who offered a couple of
ideas and then asked if I was good with a soldering iron.  I was a bit worried,
as introducing my soldering iron to my expensive new radio wasn't something I
had planned, but I was willing to try.

Dale carefully explained what he wanted me to do, and said to call him back
with the results of the first step.  That first step didn't solve the problem,
so I called him again, and he explained what the next step was; to pull a leg
from Q3 which is a relatively large keying transistor.  Removing that leg
confirmed the transistor was bad.  Dale actually apologized on behalf of
Elecraft for "sending a bad transistor and not checking it"!  I didn't know
what to say, other than it certainly wasn't necessary.  Who knows, maybe I did
something to blow it, or it may have been 'infant mortality'.

During this time, I had thoughts in my head of having to ship the radio back to
them and waiting for them to repair it, and then shipping it back to me.
Because of the holidays, I imagined that would take several weeks.

Dale said he was placing a replacement transistor in the mail for me, and
offered hints on how to replace it, and to let him know if it that didn't cure
the problem.

Well I just finished replacing Q3 and reassembling the radio.  I'm happy to say
it works now.

Happy Holidays to all; and thanks again Dale.

73 de Sebastian, W4AS