Hi,

I think your symptoms with the erratic RF gain control is typical of the
receiver RF gain calibration going awry. This procedure is very fragile and
tends to end you up with symptoms like this. Do you have the latest version
of the K3 utility? There was a problem with an earlier version that would
not do the receiver gain calibration correctly. I would repeat the
calibration. Make sure you follow the instructions exactly and be very
careful to position the test signal exactly in the center of the very narrow
passband specified. Once this calibration succeeds, the RF gain control
should have the S-meter rise smoothly to S9+60 as you back off the RF gain.
Mine does, but it took me three tries of the calibration procedure.

AB2TC - Knut

Cady, Fred wrote