> If I buy the KXBC3 NiMH battery/RTC option, can I still put ordinary
> alkaline manganese cells in it as well?

Yes.

> And would the KXBC3 know not to allow charging to occur?

Wayne has said that this will be the case. What was not clear was if you
will have to set a switch or jumper on the KXBC3 board to "tell it" which
you have in.

> Or would I need to swap the KXBC3 with the standard battery pack if I
> wanted to use non-rechargeables?

See above. The battery holders themselves are screwed into the RF board and
would not be routinely removed. You would not remove or swap a "battery
pack". Rather, you would remove the rechargeable cells and install your
alkaline or lithium primary cells. The KXBC3 is the optional PC board that
has the charger/RTC circuitry on it. It will stay in place.

73,
Bruce, N1RX