Julius,

good question...

J F wrote:

Hi Dave,

Just out of curiousity, did you consider the tower
base safe after that experience, from a mechanical
standpoint?
At first no. not until it was surveyed my a licensed mechanical and electrical engineer team; they used some sort of fancy equipment to see what was up; it was only damaged at the site that I described, and had no structural issues according to them.

I admit, I was plenty worried about what I couldn't see, but they had something like sonar or radar (I don't recall if it was RF or sonic, but it saw reflections from surface interfaces, and was quite clear.

What you describe for your system seems like a lot
more than a 10' length of wire set in concrete.

It is indeed far far more than 10' of wire set in concrete, which I would hardly call a Ufer ground.

We have this type of construction in our facility and as
you say it is expensive and requires proper
installation (sadly, that can be an iffy proposition).
We haven't had any lightning strike issues for a large
installation on the highest point of the county.
Some people are luckier than others, and some areas get more lightning storms than others; we are not far from some famous tornado alleys, so we have plenty of them.

73,
Julius
n2wn
73 de Dave, W5SV

--
David F. Reed  - W5SV -     cell: 512 585-1057