I have an extra K2/10 with pretty much all options except DSP. I also have a
9 year old grandson who at least has the potential to be interested in ham
radio. It occurred to me that I could set up the K2 in his room at home (he
lives a couple of miles away) and let him do some SWL.

I would need to disable transmit in the K2 so "transmit accidents" can not
happen. Permanently putting the K2 in test mode would be perfect since he
could practice CW sending but it is not obvious how I could do that.

The KAT2 would not work without transmit so I was thinking of a low price
manual ATU with a random wire antenna.

I did a search of the archives and found some previous references but no
definitive answer. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Lou  W2ROW