Andy,

I assume you have the K2/100 rather than the K2/10.  The KPA100 can
couple into the KSB2 board giving audio distortion.  Remove the right
side panel and tuck the ribbon cable and speaker cable up into the space
between the KPA100 and the top of the Control Board.

Mods to increase the mic gain have been several - change the value of
resistor R14 is the simplest, adding a mic preamp is a bit more
involved, and for those who want a bit better performance there is the
KI6WX SSB Increased RF Gain mod.  If the latter is installed in a
K2/100, changes to the KSB2 ALC circuit should also be made - if you
have a transistor added to your KSB2 near U5 (either on the top or
bottom of the board), then you have that mod installed - I can give you
the ALC changes that should be made.

Since you have an older KPA100, do you have the shield up to date?  You
should have a shield on the speaker magnet, there should be clips on the
shield and there should be a direct connection between the top of the
shield and the SO-239 jack (that connection is usually made with 2
solder lugs connected together).

73,
Don W3FPR