From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Monty Shultes
Sent: 31 December 2011 11:38
To: Bill
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Some Year End Thoughts about Elecraft and
InnovativeRadio Manufactures of the Past

While large organizations can be productive, really new ideas tend to come
from one person's motivation and insight.  Elecraft is the product of two
such people, each with their expertise.  I hope that one-two punch provides
enough satisfaction for them to continue.  From the 4 K2s built to my
current K3 and KX1, the satisfaction of ownership has been outstanding.  KX3
order is on the list.  Anyone need a 706 MKII?

Monty K2DLJ

On Dec 30, 2011, at 8:56 PM, Bill wrote:

> I just finished reading an article about some companies that
> may not or will not be around for 2012.  For example, SEARS has been in
business for 125 years but they are
> closing hundreds of stores.
> Because of the current economy, the list of failing
> businesses in this country is long and growing longer each day.
> This got me thinking of some of the innovative radio
> manufactures and equipment of the past.  The
> Central Electronics  100V was one of the
> first no-tune transmitters. Pretty cool for the 1950's.  The Collins S
Line and KWM-380 were pricey but
> nice.  How about the Signal One Milspec
> 1030.  I believe Signal One was a company
> that was about the same size as Elecraft.
> Some of the companies such as Collins are still in business making
> Avionics but sadly they no longer make Amateur Radio equipment.
> How lucky we are to be able to jump on the web and order some
> of the latest technology rigs from Elecraft such as the KX3. I believe
that Elecraft
> rigs are high in performance but still very reasonable in price when
compared
> to the competition. Good job guys!
> It takes more than innovative thinking and engineering expertise
> to run a business in the state of California.  There are expensive
business licenses and permits, costly insurance, environmental
> restrictions, high business taxes, and the list goes on.  We even get "Cap
and Trade" starting in 2012.  Even though small businesses provide