I have had some surprising results with a 40M mag loop  I built from
hardline (real cheap)  as well as an *all out* (that means big bucks
blown)  20 meter mag loop that I built from 1.5" copper pipe, a Jennings
vacuum variable, and a 1 rpm motor from Edmunds Scientific.  My best DX
so far (confirmed) is UA1CE on 900 mw on 20M with my KX1 for about 6500
miles.  The darn thing was sitting on my driveway about 3" off the
ground.

My personal findings:  Superb receive antenna; lousy transmitting
antenna; highly directional; Incredibly quiet compared to my doublet;
extremely narrow bandwidth.

It's presently sitting in the garage.  I haven't given up on it but I
much prefer my doublet and end fed half wave toys at this time.

But frankly, for someone - anyone - who has *severe* antenna
restrictions to contend with, the mag loop is most certainly worth
reading up on.  It's not a toy!

73, Stan WB2LQF