Randy,

Did you try using shielded twisted pair CAT5E or CAT6 cable? This solved it for me. Just an idea...

73 Trev - K6ESE
----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 3:03 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] Birdies

I have had trouble with annoying “birdies,” notably at 14014 and 14029. I hope my experience in chasing these down helps someone else with a similar problem.

I finally traced this to an interaction between the cable modem for my high speed cable Internet access and the network card on my computer. When I cut power to the modem, the birdie would stop. When I unplugged the CAT 5 cable at the computer, the birdie stopped. When plugged in and when I cut power to the computer, it was still there because when a computer is “off,” not all circuits are off, and whatever the reason the birdies were still there. I tried switching to DSL as provided by the local phone company but the problem was still there.

It may well be that there are more expensive network cards that would not have this interaction but I did not want to fool around with them. I had noted that I did not have birdies while using a laptop in the shack. So I tried a cheap wireless card, similar in function to the ones used with laptops except that you plug it in to one of the slots on your PC. The birdies went away but the thing was incredibly slow, worse than a 56K modem. So I bought a more expensive Linksys wireless card with a “speed accelerator.” No more birdies and the Internet speed is consistent with high speed access. I should point out that the literature provided with this card says that the accelerator works only with machines running Windows XP.

Randy W6SJ.