Well, he said that the data recorder was designed for and currently uses
three AA alkaline batteries.  Those things have far from a flat
discharge voltage curve so I assumed that the data recorder had some
sort of internal regulation.

I also assumed he would have to add another battery anyway since not
many utility packs have anything close to the capacity it would require
to deliver 0.7 amps for "several days".   Five days times 24 hours per
day times 0.7 amps is about 80AH, and you still have to derate that for
the practical discharge threshold of a normal battery.  We're talking
well over 100 AH, and I'll bet that the utility power pack they're using
has less than a tenth of that.   Maybe it is important to run everything
off one battery, but if so I'll bet it won't be the one they already have.

Dave   AB7E