John,

You said you were "building a Y cable".  I do not know the configuration
of your cable, but it sounds like you may have the transmit data
connected from both the SteppIR Controller and from the computer - the
transmit data from the two sources will "fight" and communications will
cease.

The SteppIR Y cable does not connect transmit data from the SteppIR
Controller - it depends on the logging application to poll for the
transmit frequency, and the SteppIR Controller just listens in on that
information transfer.

So, if you have connected both TXD and RXD on both sides of the Y cable,
that is your problem - RS-232 cannot have multiple drivers on any
connection, although multiple receivers will work.

73,
Don W3FPR