Though I respect your opinion, Mike, and everyone else that shares the same
sentiment, I must entirely disagree with your point about using an HT to
supplement the KX3 vs. the multi-mode capability on 2m.

My basis for my comments is backpacking. I ask those that are consider the
multi-mode operability of the KX3 as being the sole reason wideband receive
is not feasible and that an HT must be required to supplement that which the
KX3 does not cover if you have ever gone backpacking. That doesn't mean a
short day hike or walking a mile to a camp site for the weekend, I am
talking about packing everything you need for 2 or more days covering 20+
miles. I still consider these trips "short" or "small" in the grand scheme
of "backpacking", but the point is that every pound you add is that much
more weight you have to carry with you the whole time. Therefore by packing
lighter and smaller the enjoyment of your adventure goes up and the effort,
wear, and tear on ones body goes down. Have you experienced that and the
different challenges associated with packing for treks like that? Have you
felt the affects on your body after a trip like that?

An example I will give you is on past trips I have taken my FT-857D on 3 day
backpacking trips covering in the 18-24 mile range through the Appalachian
mountains. The set up I have for the FT-857D complete is right around 15lbs.
That's a LOT of weight. The reason it weighs what it does is mostly the rig
and battery. Even though now that I have a K2 I can get by with less weight
(lighter rig, lighter battery) I would have to supplement that with adding
an HT for VHF/UHF. The FT-857D covers everything I need in one box - its a
single rig solution and that out weighs the added weight.

Starting with a base weight of 40lbs (my backpacking gear, food) adding
15lbs of radio stuff brings me up to 55lbs. Thats a very typical pack weight
for me. Try it some time. Find a trail in the mountains that's a mile long
and throw a 55lb backpack on to hike it. That will give you an idea of what
its like. Now cover ~20 miles over a 3 day period.

Adding extra gear to a backpack is probably the number one rule to avoid.
Making due with less and using other items for multiple purposes, even
getting creative and using items for purposes they were never designed for
all helps to trim the overall pack weight. Adding an HT at a couple lbs is
bad enough by itself, adding that weight on top of, say, 4-5lbs (KX3,
batteries, antenna, key, mic, just a rough guess) really starts to add up.
That is still lbs difference than my FT-857D set up.

My last trip to TN I left my 857 behind and just took my HT. I couldn't
handle the added weight - I was trying to stay well under 50lbs, but I had
wet/cold weather gear with me and there was no way I could take another
15lbs. I ended up right about 50lbs as it was.

I am not arguing the design of the KX3, just trying to paint a picture for
those that may not have the perspective I do. The performance of the radio
is one thing - and I agree that it is important. Operating from a mountain
side in the wilderness is a huge world of difference than your shack desk,
the back yard, or even the box you pack to take with you to the beach or
your sisters house for Christmas. If there is a challenging environment to
operate a rig from, aside from an RF environment (contesting, field day,
etc) it would have to be in the weight/portability/performance class in that
the smaller/lighter packages lend themselves to going where most radios will
never go. The practicality of the extra band coverage cannot be down-played
in those circumstances. I personally couldn't care less about the public
service and MARS frequencies above 2m, its the NOAA weather channels because
that is a very good resource on adventures. If that is something that could
be added in another module, even, that would be neat. Its the "one rig"
solution that is important to me. As it is the rig will fill a unique niche
in my radio arsenal - which is why I ordered one - a CW AND SSB rig on HF in
a compact, light, and well thought-out package.

Steve, KC8QVO