There's no need to argue about 1500W or 500W. The 1500W will bring more
signal across to the other receiver.
And whether you are succesfull with  500W or 1500W depends on how you
use it.

The question is: why did Elecraft decide to bring a 500W PA and not the
1500W version that was on display years ago. I donot know how they go
about this, but what I can see is that a lot of discussion on the
internet about this subject helps them to understand the needs of a
group of customers. This is a good thing. And there is ofcourse the
worldwide market with lots of competition of other manufacturers which
have products on this market influences this. Mixed with sales
potential, all this boils down to a set of design specifications (see
some comments of Eric on this subject in the list). They probably
decided that it should be 500W and the size of a K3 as important specs.

For myself:
Why do I have a K3? A nice rig for HF-contesting, better RX than other
rigs on the market at the time that I bought it, and flexible like a
FT1000 for example.
Why a KPA500? I want to be able to take it on a DXpedition and at home
it will be a step up from 100W (but I will need a KAT500 for that).

Elecraft will continue to bring new products on the market for lots of
reasons (one of them being the limited sales potential of a product; you
have to come up with new ones to keep up your business).  I wonder what
will be the next.

73,
Arie PA3A
K3 #1255