Ian,

That is because you are using the paddle input.  Use the Hand Key
input.  If you do not have a hand key, get yourself a 1/4 inch stereo
plug - connect one wire to the tip and another to the shell - on the
other end of those wires, put a pushbutton, or a toggle switch or
whatever you desire to use - in any case, shorting the two wires
together will cause the K3 to transmit in CW mode.

As has been mentioned already, you can also use TUNE, and there is a
menu item to set the TUNE POWER should you choose to do that.

73,
Don W3FPR