Alan,

Actually the correct formula is even easier.  If you note, you are
squaring the 2 x .707 term, and the overall result of that is 2.  So the
formula becomes:

P (watts) = 2(Volts + diode drop)^2/50

or even easier

P (watts) = (Volts + diode drop)^2/25

Substitute whatever you think is correct for the diode drop - see Jack
Smith's recent post for details.

The formula above was supposed to make it into the DL2 manual at one
time, but I see it has not been inserted.

73,
Don W3FPR