I don't get it, when you are in DATA mode it takes the Line In signal and
ignores the microphone input if you've configured the rig correctly, any
input on the Microphone line should be completely ignored and VOX should
work 100%.

Still, on the K3 there is absolutely no need for any external interface
like SignaLink (unless you just want to use it for it's built in USB sound
card, but there are many cheaper options available), just hook up the K3 to
the PC with standard audio cables and a serial cable/USB-serial converter,
and use soft-keying (available with fldigi and hopefully other decent
digimode programs), this also gives you full rig control...

73, Thomas M0TRN