First, thanks very much to all of the listers who replied to my question.

In the short term, I am now up and operational on PSK31 using my K3/P3 +
Signalink USB + FLDIGI.

I have unplugged the RCA phono plug from the Tigertronics box from "PTT IN"
jack in the rear of the K3, and FLDIGI is triggering PTT using the RS232
Com1 connection.

This weekend my objective will be to process all of the advice I have
received and troubleshoot the underlying issue of why I need to use the
computer to trigger the PTT.

Turning VOX on did not by itself make the Signalink box any more effective
in triggering transmit, but when I have some time I will go back and
recheck all my settings in the menus, etc.

73 and thx again for the quick responses,

Tim
N5IIT