Guys, I have flown with different radios internally and  internationally
including USA. I carry radios and main accessories in a kind o pelican
briefcase. In the briefcase I have the radio, power supply, electronic
keyer, digi interface, cables and so on. I have never had a problem.
I have also transported power amplifier, botanchor radios, radio parts and
so on.

Once , in Miami int'l airport, in connection to a flight to VP5 (Turks and
Caicos), I was inspected by an TSA officer that knew every item I had in my
hand luggage. He also said : "electronic keyer with paddles- cool !". I
certainly was inspected by a fellow ham. As we better be quite during these
inspections, I have not asked a thing, just smiled to him.

I anticipate no problem if you do not bring along knifes, liquid and stuff
that they don't like. Also make sure you have your license with you. I have
showed my license in few occasions.

Regards Fred PY2XB

2012/1/31 Edward R. Cole <kl...@acsalaska.net>

> This is a recurring topic, but TSA is always changing their
> procedures so is a reasonable question.
>
> I have flown several times with my old FT-847, 2m amp, cigarette
> lighter power cord for mobiling , mag-mt antenna, mic and a few other
> accessories.  I used to carry them in my soft-side brief case but it
> has been exchanged for a computer case so now the rig gets packed
> into the carry-on clothes suitcase.
>
> I have never had to show it.  A few times they have run it back thru
> the scanner.  A long time ago (before TSA) I had a small sealed
> battery which was challenged but eventually allowed as I explained if
> was for demo at a conference and I had my business card attached to
> the radio (I was a radio tech).
>
> I will be interested if the KX3 causes any controversy for flying.  I
> seriously doubt it will. I suspect that some of the inspectors figure
> the radio is a mobile phone since the mic has a dtmf keypad.
>
> Last time we flew we had the new body scanners at Detroit so I messed
> up by forgeting my drivers license was in my pocket.  So I got a pat
> down and wand sweep and swab wipe of clothes and shoes.  Good thing
> my pants stay up without a belt as that had to be removed.  Seattle
> and Portland seem to be no hassle.
>
> Next time we fly there will be new body scanners at Anchorage
> International.
>

> 73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Fred C Carvalho - PY2XB