On 2/10/2012 1:39 PM, Ken Alexander wrote:
> I have always bought from Amidon before.  It sounds like they're a major
> distributor though, and not the manufacturer, which is Fair-Rite, correct?

Amidon does not make this stuff. They are a distributor of Fair-Rite and
some other manufacturers, and NOT a good one. I'd bet there's no one
there who has a clue about anything technical. There USED to be a ham
there whose name was Amidon, but he's LONG LONG gone, and any technical
data there is a leftover from his days.  They are selling now whatever
they sold then, for WILDLY high mark-ups as compared to most others.

I recently bought some transistors and a few small kits from W8DIZ
(preamps for use with Beverages and small voltage regulators). Fair
prices for what I bought, good service, and the kits were nicely done.
For toroids though I would go to the big guys -- it would be tough for
him to buy in enough quantity to offer good prices except for the few
coils used in his kits.

73, Jim K9YC.