-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Craig Rairdin
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 12:03 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] RE: Sad day

I sympathize with you, and certainly welcome your contributions to the hobby
and to your local emergency services organizations (as if my "welcome" were
necessary or even important).

On the other hand, there are concepts on the written test that seemed like
garbage to me no matter how much I studied. I have a computer science degree
with lots of advanced math and engineering but some of the formulae and
algorithms required for the Extra exam just leave me scratching my head.

So my question is, should a bunch of us be able to get together and ask that
all the technical requirements for ham licenses be dropped just because it's
hard? That's what this "no code" thing sounds like to me. To me dropping the
code and only having a written test is philosophically no different than
dropping the written test and keeping the code.

In the end, the hobby is changing. Other countries have dropped the code
requirement. We should follow suit. It sounds like the tests have been
steadily getting easier over the last 100 years. This is just the next step.

As a CW-only, HF-only ham, I think this seems more ominous and wrong-headed
to me than it does to others. I don't think other points of view are
invalid, though. Just trying to make my opinions known. The guys who squeak
by on a CW test just for the test's sake are probably never going to show up
in the CW bands anyway so it may be a net zero loss for the practice of CW.

I think I'll stop posting on this subject now. :-)

Craig