Ken,

A typical question when something like this arises is: "What does it do
if you drive a dummy load?".

While another transceiver handling your antenna situation may also be
good to know, it does not satisfy the question of "What does the K3 do
when driving a 50 ohm resistive load."

The question of the difference in SWR readings between your Palstar
tuner and the K3 cannot be answered without additional measurements
driving a "dummy load" that produces a known SWR.

One thing you could do if you have an antenna analyzer is to tune the
antenna tuner so the K3 indicates a 1:1 SWR - then remove the coax from
the K3 and read the impedance on the analyzer.  Is it 50 + j0 or
somewhat close?  If so, the K3 reading is correct, but if the SWR
reading is 2:1. then your Palstar reading is correct.  If you have a
substantial length of feedline between the K3 and the Palstar tuner,
that might explain the difference in readings.

73,
Don W3FPR