Bert - From a purely technical / functional standpoint (i.e. numbers), and
aside from current drain and bells/whistles, the K3's receiver has the
edge, and I think most would agree.

The K2's receiver is superb, and I occasionally try to make it my only rig
by putting the K3 aside for a few days at a time, as I prefer the K2 for
its analog signal path, size, current drain, simplicity, fewer
bells/whistles, through-hole design, etc. I usually last only about a day,
because for some reason I prefer the sound of the K3's receiver - it just
sounds "smoother," more refined, whatever that means. This could be
influenced by user interface, controls, display, for all I know.

Like you, I operate 100% casual CW (and an occasional QRP sprint) and it
took me a while to hear the differences between the two receivers. A
contester or DXer might hear the differences faster.

Bottom line - yes I think the K3 receiver has the edge, but to a casual op,
the differences might not jump out at you, but after a while, you might
find yourself preferring it.  Everything in life's a tradeoff - the K2
still wins for a lot of other reasons (see above) and its receiver is right
up there among the best.

I find the advantage of the K3's receiver to be not so much in the
sensitivity, but in the selectivity, noise reduction and what you can do
with the DSP.

There's an op in my area who enjoys working DX and uses only a K2 at 5
watts to do it, and very successfully - after spending an afternoon in his
shack watching and learning, I saw he could do more with a K2 at 5 W than
I'll ever do with a K3 at 100. It was a humble reminder that it's more
about the op, patience, persistence and the antenna.  Of course you can do
that too with the K3.

--Andrew, NV1B