Thanks for the replies. I can try to answer as follows:

The "good" rig is in the 3800 series,  and has:
KDSP2, KAT2, KBT2, KSB2, KNB1, K160RX, KIO2

The "weak" rig is 5900 series and has:
KAF2, KPA100, KSB2, KNB1, K160RX, KIO2

I have used spectogram, but not for the 5900 series rig.

I did a quick VAC measurement across the speaker and found that the good rig
had a poweful 2 VAC, while the weak rig had as low as 0.5 VAC. I did some
reading and tried to check the settings of R1 on the local board against the
VDC on pin 5 of U2 on the weak rig. It looked OK close to the 3.9 mark, but
that was close to the edge of its run, just a slight tweak got the DCV up to
about 1.3 VAC on the speaker - though audio was beginning to distort. On the
good rig the audio is always good even though the same measurement gives 2
VAC.

All these I tried using Preamp off and what I could regard as similar filter
settings, though the two radios have different filtering techniques, DSP vs.
non-DSP. But that said, I was listening on 10m and could heard DX from state
side on the good rig, but hardly audible on the weak rig, about S3 compared
to S1. Maybe the DSP unit is preamplifying the signal and that's the issue?

I did try switching the NB module in the rigs, it made no difference. I
should have tried with the SSB unit as well, but didn't think about it at
the time.

Maybe this has shed some more light on the setup here.

thanks again and 73
Robin
OZ6ABM