Hi John,

The one thing I noticed with great interest was the very nice
push-up mast with tripod that you used for the spiderbeam.  Believe
... ...
awkwardness.  Where did you get your mast from?  Would you mind
sharing the price?  I might have to think of importing one, or
trying to make one myself.

I bought the mast from a german company (Frick Geraetebau GmbH,
Wessemerstrasse 15, D-63500 Seligenstadt, Germany), and normally the
mast would go up to 12m (c. 39'4"), which I did not do due to high
winds coming in off of the North Sea. To be on the safe side, I only
pushed it up to about 11m. The mast itself is the "heavy" version of
the aluminum 10m mast (FGRM 70 1,95/10/6) with one extra pipe to go up
to 12m. They called it a FGRM 70 1,95/12/7. The transport length is c.
2m (about 6'7"). This modified version cost EUR 238 and without the
knobs (i.e. screws only) would have been a bit less. The quadpod with
the 2m (when extended) legs cost EUR 145. The 2 "thingies" to fasten
the guy lines to the mast (anchor plates) cost EUR 13,30. With
shipping, I paid a grand total of EUR 426.30.

The quadpod (tripod with four legs) can not hold the mast up by
itsself. You MUST guy the mast, and when raising it use the method
described on the SpiderBeam website:
http://www.spiderbeam.com/english/tips.html

AFAIK Con (DF4SA) also uses a mast by Frick Geraetebau.

The Website of Frick Geraetebau is:
http://www.frick-teleskopmaste.de/

and the aluminum round masts are on:
http://www.frick-teleskopmaste.de/e_lr_tab.htm