I suspect it was intentional.  From having met him and read a lot about the
approach he takes to designing things, he tends to insure that everything
Elecraft designs and builds is as "bulletproof" as possible.

Sounds like it was a "failure mode" test of the COR in case the T/R switch
failed and the KX3's TX pumped all it's RF back into the RX.  Working right, it
probably would save a lot of more expensive repairs if the T/R switch failed in
the wrong mode.

Of course, it IS remotely possible that it was an OOPS during a late night
operating session ;-)

W0EB