Tony,

There is more to it than just putting a + or - sign on the display.  The
instrument must have adequate measurements starting at the front end
reflectometer to determine the sign of the reactance.  The MFJ does not
have that.

If there were a microprocessor in the instrument, and it had the
capability of electrically varying the frequency, it could move the
frequency up or down to determine the sign.  The MFJ259 manual tells you
how to determine the sign by moving the frequency up or down while
watching the reactance.

73,
Don W3FPR