I don't have, nor have seen, the KX3. But from what I read it looks
more like competition for the K2. In the basic 10W version (ie without
a 100W external PA) the KX3 looks good to take with you on holiday,
camping trips etc. A KX3 will take up a lot less space in your hand
luggage than the K2 and offers quite a lot in that package too.

On the other hand, the K3 is a very capable contest, DXpedition and
shack "system" radio with a lot of interfacing capability and a darn
good receiver too. I have a nearly fully loaded K3 and bought the
basic K3/100 back in 2007. I don't see anything competing with the K3,
when you add in the superb 2nd receiver, P3 panadapter and matching
KPA500 amp you have a line up that is hard to beat for use at home or
on serious DX trips.

With my K3 I have a few extras added externally, such as a ferrite
splitter on the RF IN/OUT to give a 3rd receive capability with a
Perseus SDR (mostly used with CW Skimmer since getting the K3 2nd RX),
an SCS PTC-IIex Pactor/Amtor modem with switching of the K3 line audio
in/out between sound card (fldigi) and the SCS modem (how many other
ham transceivers offer a transformer isolated line in/out?), plus of
course the P3 that doesn't need a computer to use.

Compared to the above setup, I just don't see the KX3 competing in the
shack at home... Your requirements may be different.

73 Dave, G4AON
This question has been going around in my head and I would like some
feedback from Elecraft owners for I have never had any Elecraft radio
equipment.

Which is better to have a K3/100 kit or a KX3 with all the options
including the forthcoming 100 watt PA?

I'm assuming the cost will be about the same.

Dave - KO4KL