> But I would buy a second KPA500 in a heartbeat if I knew I could
> modify it for 10 watts drive for full output!

I think you're being optimistic about full output with 10W drive.

The VRF-2933 is rated for 23 dB gain (typical).  With perhaps 1 dB loss
in the low pass filter, a dB or so in the output transformer, roughly 3
dB in feedback to improve linearity one dB in the input transformer,
bias decoupling, gate balancing, and two dB in the input matching comes
very close to the roughly 15 dB gain limit in the US regulations.

Some of those values are based on application notes from Motorola,
MicroSemi and APT for similar MOSFET designs while some values are
from Elecraft designers.  In any case, the inescapable conclusion is
that there is no "magic modification" to get the additional 2 - 3 dB
of gain necessary to get 600W with 10W of driver from the KPA-500.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 3/15/2012 6:32 PM, Oliver Dröse wrote:
> Great Alan, nice idea with the manual! ;-))
>
> Anyway, a very big part of this world's ham population is not bound to FCC
> rules. So no need to make it public how to modify, just publish the
> schematics or send them out on request without pointing out something and
> Elecraft should be safe?
>
> My KPA500 is serving me very well on my remote station so also no chance to
> take the PA apart again and have a look myself and just buying a second one
> without knowing it is possible might be a bit too expensive to find out.
> ;-)) But I would buy a second KPA500 in a heartbeat if I knew I could modify
> it for 10 watts drive for full output!
>
> 73, Olli

>>> schematics:
>>> a.) To keep them hidden for the competition (quite understandable).
>>> b.) It would probably put down sales of the KPA3 a bit (hmmm).