Hi Dave.

I can't say for sure but the original screws for the plate were a fraction
too long, causing "pops" when the PA heated up due to thermal expansion.
Some of us simply filed a fraction off the original screws to seat the plate
more tightly, and that solved out problem.    In other words, slightly short
screws are better.

4-to-5 threads sounds to me like it ought to work OK, so I'd settle for that
... but like you I'd be a bit concerned about the inventory of parts, just
in case those screws are destined to be used elsewhere.  Are you sure there
are no other screws in a little additional envelope somewhere?

73
Gary  ZL2iFB   (*very* happy owner and daily user of a KPA500 - love the QRQ
QSK and no-tune QSYs)