"Lying to your K3" may be cute to say, but it detracts from what is really
going on.  That filter parameter simply sets the DSP bandwidth at which the
crystal filter engages, and for all narrower bandwidths until the next
crystal filter engages.  The crystal filter and the DSP filter can have
three basic relationships, all with different results.  One filter can be
significantly wider than the other or they can be close to the same
bandwidth.  There are lots of K3s configured in each of these three ways and
the users that understand the implications of their particular choice will
have one or more reasons for that choice.  One popular reason for engaging
the crystal filter at a significantly wider DSP bandwidth, is that the shape
of the audio passband is "rounder" (because it is dominated by the crystal
filter passband shape) and sounds a bit different than when the more
rectangular DSP passband dominates, i.e, is narrower than the crystal
filter.  One popular reason for engaging the crystal filter when the DSP
bandwidth is well inside it, is to maintain consistent bandwidth steps as
the K3 IF bandwidth is varied via the WIDTH or HI/LO-CUT controls.  Users
that care about this usually don't confuse the marketing name of the filter,
e.g., 250 Hz, with the actual bandwidth, e.g., 370 Hz.

Ed - W0YK