As Eric recently explained to me, the KAT500 is based on the same design as
the ATU for the K3--only bigger!  So, yes it should have much the same
spec's, which means something like a 10:1 SWR capability.  Actually, Eric
noted that, provided you a somewhat closer SWR variance, like 3:1 or better,
the KAT500 will handle a good bit more than it's 500 watt specificed power
rating.  How much more he didn't say exactly, but the KAT500 will very
probably work just fine on some of those 800 watt amps that are out there,
and just as well or better than various other ATU's.  Mating the KAT500 with
the KPA500 is the primary objective, but they are intentionally aiming at
other amps as well--within a reasonable power range.  If you think about it,
that only makes sense not to limit yourself to just your own matching amp.
I don't know how aggressive they will be about the actual spec's when those
are formally released, but Eric specifically pointed out that they wanted
this ATU to be fairly versatile.

Dave W7AQK