The KX3 owner's manual isn't quite clear regarding switching power
supplies. Yes, many of them are very noisy, especially the miniature
variety with no shielding. But well-designed switchers with good
shielding and filtering are just fine. This includes a lot of the
larger bench supplies in use by many hams.

Today I picked up a Radio Shack 22-507 switching supply (in the $60
range), which Eric (WA6HHQ) has been using with his KX3. It has a
metal enclosure and is pretty rugged. Even though it's larger than the
miniature types, it's still small enough to take with you when you'll
have AC power available. I swept all bands and didn't hear any of that
drifty hash that I've heard with poorly designed switchers.

73,
Wayne
N6KR