Bill,

I would suggest that "The other station is drifting" is the best answer.
The drift of either the 1ppm or 5ppm TCXO is based on temperature, and
not on other factors - the 1% TCXO is better, but it is all with respect
to temperature, not any other considerations.

The 5 ppm TCXO vs the 1ppm TCXO should not be significant for PSK31 -
the only caveat I can offer is that if your shack ambient temperature is
changing rapidly, then you can consider that your K3 may be the cause of
the drift, but if your shack temperature is relatively constant, the
stock 5 ppm TCXO should perform quite nicely - it is all about
temperature changes.

The more likely scenario is that the the other station has not separated
his TX frequency from his RX frequency, and the result of the
accumulated Re-tuning  (and drift if any) results in the signals
"climbing the band".  To prevent that, once a QSO has been established,
turn off auto-tune and you should be able to continue your QSO.

73,
Don W3FPR