Thanks for the input on the heat, I agree it just
overheated due to abuse (sometimes I do that, too).

I got some private requests for information about my
field-use 88' CF doublet, so here's how I do it,
designed for lightest weight:

Wire for antenna and feedline: 26 AWG 19-strand
copperweld, purchased from Davis RF. This wire is very
lightweight yet extremely strong and flexible with an
excellent insulation. I highly recommend it.

Bottom of this page, their PN "POLYS-26"
http://www.davisrf.com/ham1/flexweve.htm
(I'm not affiliated with them in any way, all that
usual stuff)

I used 1/4" black irrigation tubing for the spreaders.
Drilled a 5/64" hole with 1.5" spacing, then threaded
them onto the wire. No glue or other attachment
required. Yes, this takes some time but the finished
product is GREAT! I spaced the spreaders about every
10" on the line.

For the center insulator, I cut a scrap piece of 1/4"
thick Lexan, drilled holes at 1.5" spacing and
soldered ring lugs onto the feedline and antenna
wires. Using SS
wingnut HW, this assembled/disassembles easily in the
field into three pieces, making it easier to store and
also to install in the field. I fill the ring lugs
crimp area with hot melt glue for strain relief
(sounds dumb, works great).

End insulators are small pieces of 1/2" PVC cut and
drilled. Simple, cheap.

I use a cheap-o plastic extension cord spooler to
spool the feedline and antenna wire onto, making
unspooling a tangle-free event. Think "Christmas tree
string lights" here, same thing.

72, Steve N4SL K2/100 #4272