In the old days there were some pretty creaky old timers out there.
But, the newer SOLAS requirements pretty much put an end to that.

Now, anyone working on a ship has to have gone through a couple of days
of "survival swimming", a couple of days of ship-board fire fighting
training, etc. etc.  I suppose it depends on which training facility one
attends but the various courses are somewhat rigorous and a good many
people wash-out.

And, of course, once all that is accomplished one *still* needs a 2nd
Telegraph license!  It's an odd set of rules.  You need an FCC 1st or
2nd Telegraph license in order to get the USCG License as an R/O.  But,
the FCC doesn't care about the 2nd Telegraph, they only require the
GMDSS license.  It's hilarious..

73,
-Doug, W7KF
http://www.w7kf.com