----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Mabbott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Elecraft List" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 11:00 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] OT: Need advice -- mobile 706 857 and K2

I preferred the 706 because size of numbers on display and ease of accessing the knobs. Not to mention at the time I bought the remote head was free.

----------------------------------

Some things to be considered for a mobile setup is:

1. Access to buttons and sight in dark enviroments.
2. NB performance
3. Audio amplification
4. Output power
5. Safe installation

I do have both K2/100 and IC706mk2g.

The 706 meets all the above if you have separation kit and head mounted somewhat high without taking your sight away to much of the traffic , but not so low that you have to take sight of traffic.

The K2 in my opinion can work in mobile enviroments , but not while driving . AND......The lack of VHF/UHF makes it a poor true mobile radio. ( That's my opinion.)
The K2 if a K2/100 meet requirment 2 and 4 , but not the others.
I have tried it mobile just for fun , so this is not just some thaughts.
But everyone has to make own choices.
In a caravan setup the K2/100 or even bare K2 will probably outperform the 706 on the reciever.
706 is a bit noicy , but running it without preamp make things much better.

So my choice is 706 in the car and K2/100 as a base TRX busting pileups.

73 de Tom LA1PHA