I am sorry, but I must disagree with both Jim and Ray on this issue.

Current computer audio interfaces are a fine way to introduce
hams to digital modes and the only way to connect to an analog
radio, but they are not the way to go for best-of-breed digital
mode operation. As with CW and SSB, it would be good to get as
much dynamic range as possible so the computer waterfall can be
used to scan for weak signals even when there are strong signals
nearby. Any distortion added by the interface only makes
decoding harder, and is not desirable for best-of-breed performance.

The issue of format of the digital data seems simple. For
maximum compatibility, the interface should emulate an USB sound
card. (For example, the popular Signalink USB also emulates a
USB sound card and is compatible with most computer software.)
The K3 uses a 24 bit D/A converter for audio, and there are 24
bit USB sound cards, so 24 bits seems to be the minimum level of
support. The K3 DSP is 32 bit floating point, so more bits could
be used if enough computer software support them. There may be
an issue with sample rate differences between the DSP and what
USB sound cards support, but it should be possible to deal with
that issue in the interface.

If there is important software that only works with 16 bit and
not with 24 or greater bit sound cards, then it may be necessary
to have a configuration option, but it would reduce dynamic
range, which is one of the most important benefits of a direct interface.

I admit I have not paid too much attention to the internal K3
decoders, but in my brief try I had difficulty decoding weak
PSK31 signals. I might be able to improve with more practice,
but there are some features available with my computer software,
cocoaModem, I have grown to like that aren't available on the K3:

   0.1 Hz tuning increment
   Automatic record of an entire rag-chew QSO for summarizing in
the logbook.
   More digital modes. E.g. my only Puerto Rico QSO is on PSK63.

[Sorry I don't have USB sound card references. I'm processing
email offline.]

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV