In my opinion the KAF2 is essential.  The always in-line low pass filter
significantly reduces the high frequency audio hiss and makes SSB in
particular much nicer to listen to.  Assuming that your hearing extends
above 3kHz.

Note that there is a daughter board add on for earlier versions of the
K3 which does the same thing.  This filter was incorporated into the DSP
board in a later revision.  See the Elecraft web site for info.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO