From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Randy Farmer
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:02 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Turn on turn off transients

At the risk of resurrecting the "Speakers" thread, my experience is that
I've never been able to make any full range speaker, powered or otherwise,
sound acceptable on any amateur rig. No matter what I try, I keep returning
to my trusty pair of unpowered Motorola 2 way radio speakers. The Moto guys
knew what they were doing when they wrote the specs for those.

Just for clarification, I was making an observation,  not complaining, about
the power transient. Just like with any number of cheap stereo amps I had
before I got my good ones, I make it a practice to turn the amp off/down
before powering the K3 on or off. Works for me.

73...
Randy, W8FN

On 05/02/2012 05:23, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
> Probably of more consequence in the powered speakers is that they all
> are targeted at music use on PC's.  They are in tiny enclosures and
> have a huge bass pre-emphasis to keep them from sounding "tinny".  The
> pre-emphasis will increase with increasingly lower frequency, likely
> meaning that something with components around 5-20 Hz at the amplitude
> of turn-on pops is hugely emphasized.
>
> 73, Guy

-----
No virus found in this message.