NG5E wonders if Larry and I are new to using a VFO on the 2-meter band, but
that is not the case, and tuning does not seem to be the issue.

The Elecraft support staff (both Dale and Howard) have been quite attentive
and helpful.  They have offered to check out the K3 in its entirety.  We are
not criticizing Elecraft support.

We have heard from a few people with a similar problem.  It may well be a
function of the local repeaters, not the transverter or the K3.  We are
attempting to find out the transmit bandwidth of the repeaters in question
(which could be wider than the 13kHz filter), and we are asking another
local K3 owner to determine if he also gets distortion or clipping on the
same repeater.

73,
Julie Royster KT4JR