From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of N5GE
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 10:49 AM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Power Supplies

The Astron Power Supplies are great.  Don't always believe what people at
Hamfests tell you.

Check the connections inside the chassis and make sure all the mounting and
connection screws are tight before turning the 50 amp supply on.  I've been
using the same Astron AS50 for 15 years and it has never failed to operate.

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Sun, 6 May 2012 08:12:05 -0500, <mikefur...@att.net> wrote:

>Good Morning Ya’ll
>
>This morning my Astron SS-30M (used regularly for 15 years) went south in a
puff of smoke and voltage on the meter was fluctuating around 10VDC. No
damage to the K3. WHEW! I pulled out my Astron VS-50M (haven’t used in 15
years) and its voltage was also fluctuating a bit (maybe needs to reform
caps?) (I’ll try it later on a ... should I say ... a radio I will not worry
about too much ... or build a load for it). At a local swapfest last weekend
a seller had several Astron power supplies that he was selling as parts
units. He commented that they were unreliable.