I can't answer for the KAT500, but the KPA certainly can be operated in this
fashion. The KPA needs the K3's PTT output connection, and its operation is
enhanced if you connect the band signals. It also has an RS-232 port that
allows you to monitor and control the KPA from a computer. So the answer as far
as the KPA500 is concerned is a definite yes.

Jack Brindle, W6FB