Around 1990 an audio company, Adcom, that at that time time was well
regarded (no longer the case, I'm told by audio enthusiasts at work) had
a line of audio gear that came out in both black and white.  Apparently
the white sold well in California but not the rest pf the US.  Outside
of CA you could get the white gear for about $100 less - and still
didn't fly off the shelves.  Maybe the ham companies are simply giving
customers what they want?  Yet it would be interesting to see a white K3!

73,
Mike ab3ap