First of all, I do not use every bell and whistle on my K3, and I don't have
every option available on my K3, even though it's nicely loaded to me.  For
example, I do not have the second receiver.  So, I do not use my existing
rig to it's "maximum use".  Therefore, to extrapolate that I would need to
take advantage of every morsel in the 6700 or 6500 is apples to oranges.

Your second assumption brings up a valid point, but not the intended one.
Yes, a Mac Mini probably won't work well.  But, not due to a lack of
horsepower.  Flex's initial software is for Windows.  Yes, I know all about
using Parallels and the other software thing that lets you run Windows
programs on Mac.  I have a Macbook here as well as Windows and Linux.  Macs
are notoriously expensive for what you get.  I bet a $700-$900 (excluding
monitor, since you priced just the Mini) Intel i5 or i7 and Windows box
would work very nice with a Flex 6000 series.  Feel free to yell at Flex for
not providing Mac support.

Joe, your math below assumes that every signal is at the same frequency and
the same phase in order to just add the levels, otherwise things don't just
add up like that.  For example, even if two signals (both +50dBm) are on the
exact same frequency, but exactly opposite phases, they WILL CANCEL each
other out, you will end up with NO dBm.  Nada.  Not the addition of both
signals, as you seem to imply.  Think vector sums of AC voltages, not DC
summing as a battery.  Granted, there may be instantaneous flashes where
signals within the passband combine, but it's not constant like DC voltages,
as your math implies.  Than goodness we aren't all on the same frequency and
the same phase.

Back to the main point, the new Flex radios DO come with traditional
filtering, if you need it.  In Europe or near an AM broadcast station, it
may be necessary.  However, I am sure that the receiver will have
significantly better dynamic range than the 96dB implied by a 16-bit RF A/D
converter.  THAT's the point.  16-bits only gets you 96dB minimum to maximum
without "distortion".  If there's any more dBs found, even in the harshest
test, there is processing gain.  And most of the DSP and SDR world seems to
believe in processing gain due to decimation.

Once again, go do research on Digital DownConversion, decimation, SDR,
processing gain.

And, once again, go to the Flex web site on-line store.  Don't believe me.
In black and white (not a tee shirt), it says the 6500 is $3,999 as a
pre-order, with a $1,200 deposit required to pre-order.  Click the button
yourself.  You might like the rig.

I agree that $200 per year for software support is a bit steep.  BTW, I
don't think the rig stops working if you don't pay, you just aren't entitled
to updates.  Oh, wait.  My Macbook requires me pay for EVERY OS upgrade,
even in-between ones.  I had to buy Snow Leopard just to have the right to
upgrade from Leopard to Lion.  And that's on a dumb Macbook, which costs a
lot less that a Flex 6500.  Maybe I should shut up now.

Reflector, I am done with this.  Long live my K3!  I have, and will continue
to defend my K3 on the Flex reflector just as vigorously.  Sorry for the
off-topic bandwidth.
73,
Terry, WB4JFI